Friday, July 11, 2014

From the Home Front - Part 1 (by Roberta)

Day 8

I feel like a war bride... I know he's out there battling for something; a trophy for the team, bragging rights perhaps or is it  more than that, is it the courage to face Mother Nature's best and worst she has to offer? When speaking to others who have either done Vic-Maui or the wives of husbands who have survived this race (I'm talking about the wives); nobody mentioned what it would be like for me. They spoke about Maui and how much fun it is once the boys show up... The guys prepared him for all the good, bad and ugly... But not once did anyone help prepare me mentally for the emotional battles I would incur.

My emotions change hourly with their every move in the race: anxiousness, excitement, fear, happiness, the list goes on....  I am consumed by it all!

I can say honestly that I am very proud of my husband and his team mates for working together to keep everything in order, I know that their #1 goal is to get to Maui fast but also safely as well.  And having a little bit, ok a lot of fun along the way is well heart warming to know that 7 guys can survive on a 50' boat, and oh the shenanigans.


Between the hourly updates (seeing them inch their way to Maui), the daily blogs (from laughing my guts out to having my heart in my throat), to the other loving wives on the team in which I can turn to for support, I feel blessed to be connected to this ongoing roller coaster ride (note: they aren't quite at the half way mark yet).

My nights are sleepless as I wake to see where they are, my days go by hourly, again as I watch to see how they are doing. I find myself in a time warp, living my life right now 1 hour at a time... With each hour brings us new information, whether it is a change in their mileage, change of direction or even change in ETA, it's always changing.

One thing I have learned about myself in the past week is how strong and brave I am for him. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and after 21 years of marriage and 3 kids and him thousands of miles away, I can't help but keep falling in love with him every day even though he isn't here beside me.

So ladies of Vic-Maui virgins my advice to you: love your husband and support him, this is an opportunity of a lifetime and he WILL have the time of his life and that's ok, because he will miss you more than anything and you will learn a lot about yourself as you sit up many sleepless nights literally watching the boat on the tracker move tiny paces.  The support we show him comes back as an internal reward to ourselves because nobody can be our husbands biggest fans but us. Encouragement has its own rewards.

Well the clock has just turned the hour and it is time for an update - 4am!  (I work at 9am)

Missing my man tremendously, and I can't wait to see him on the shores of Maui....

Roberta

No comments:

Post a Comment